Wednesday, October 5, 2016

#IWSG When do you know when your work is ready?





It's time to share our thoughts, insecurities, and encouraging words. Thanks to Alex Cavanaugh and our co-hosts for keeping IWSG going. Not a member? Want to know more about the group? Just click here


This months question: 
When do you know your story is ready?


At first, I found this question hard to answer. But it's my week to submit to my critique group and I realized the answer is simple. I know my story is ready when the my critique partners no longer have questions on plot or my characters' choices. When their suggestions start to be about word choice or small details, I know the story is working, the characters are strong and well-rounded, and the scene came alive as intended. At this point, my story is ready for line edits. Since I've never been good at spotting typos in my writing, that means sending my manuscript to my amazing editor.
~~~~~

My agent and I received positive feedback on my YA realistic fiction currently out on submissions. So far, editors enjoyed the story, liked the characters, and found the situations they faced realistic. And I've received some very nice comments regarding my writing. Unfortunately, we haven't had an offer for publication, yet. It's still with other editors. My fingers are crossed we get a yes soon. Why am I telling you this in my IWSG post? Because sometimes I wonder if that yes will come. I've chatted with Madison, my brave and loyal protagonist in the Embrace Series, about casting a spell for me. A little witchy intervention can't hurt. ;)



Be sure to visit my Monday post and enter the giveaway. You could win a signed copy of Margo Kelly's newest YA novel, UNLOCKED.



How's your writing coming? Are you good at spotting typos in your writing? Did you enter the giveaway?


20 comments:

  1. I think I'm pretty good at spotting typos in my own work, but maybe I'm just fooling myself. At least I can spot them in other writer's work. Good luck on the submission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky then. Since I know what it should say, my mind automatically corrects typos as I read. Although, I've learned some new tips hopping around IWSG that I'm going to try out. :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Cherie,
    Hang in there! You have already covered half the mile. The editors like it. Your agent is getting great comments about your writing. I believe the contract is just right around the corner.
    Congratulations on what you have achieved so far.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what's so great about a critique partner, isn't it? They are invaluable.

    Keep your head up. Your story will land in the hands of the perfect editor, and you'll get the offer it deserves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CPs are!

      Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm hoping so!

      Delete
  4. Hope you get that offer of publication soon.
    Once the big stuff is fixed and it's all details, we know the end is very near.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and so true about the big stuff. I always thrilled when I share something with my CPs and their comments are related to the small details.

      Delete
  5. Of course your time will come and you'll be shouting YES! YES! at the top of your voice. The interest is there, now it just needs to find the right home and it WILL!!! Great post, Cherie. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Hang in there. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also know I'm getting close when my CP's comments are getting lighter as well. Good luck with being on submission! It sounds like it's resonating with editors--so hopefully you'll have good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope Madison comes through for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! She's such a clever witch, plus she has power friends.

      Delete
  9. You are truly a success story, Cherie. Let the universe turn your vision for your manuscript's future a reality, and move on to your next masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You said: When their suggestions start to be about word choice or small details . . . I never looked at it this way before. Thanks for the great tip. Now I'll be watching for this at my critique group meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray! It's wonderful that you're getting such great feedback on your new story. You'll get that yes.

    Very good litmus test for readiness. The little nitpicky wording matters will hardly matter to most readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very thankful for my CPs and wonderful editors. :)

      Delete